Carbon monoxide is a chemical compound that is odorless and colorless and if you’re exposed to it, it can be deadly. There can be a variety of carbon monoxide sources, but gas burning appliances as well as furnaces in the home can be one of the main causes. Unfortunately, there is always the potential for a carbon monoxide leak to occur. For this reason, it’s important and necessary to have carbon monoxide alarm or a carbon monoxide detector in your home so you can be prepared and get out of the house in case a leak happens or monoxide levels rise unexpectedly. Know what the signs and symptoms are of a carbon monoxide leak so you can avoid poisoning and get treatment right away.
Tip #1: Install quality carbon monoxide alarm:
We are proud to carry the Carrier® CO alarm, which uses sophisticated sensor technology to detect and record carbon monoxide levels. The digital display allows you to read what the level is in your home, detecting as low as 11 and as high as 999 parts per million. It updates every 15 seconds. The product plugs into any standard electrical outlet and has a 7 year limited warranty so you can be sure that you and your family are protected.
Tip #2: Test the alarms monthly and make sure batteries are adequate.
Test your alarms every month and if you ever hear the audible trouble sound, check for low batteries. If you replace the battery and it is still sounding, call the fire department and get out of the area quickly. Stay outside in the fresh air until you are cleared to go back inside.
Tip #3: Make sure your furnace and heat exchanger are in good working order.
Heat exchangers can release carbon monoxide into your house, so be sure that your furnace is cleaned and checked by a professional with routine maintenance checks. Our team of specialists can diagnose and spot flaws in your system that make them unsafe to operate.
Schedule an appointment for a tune-up and annual maintenance right away and if your home does not have a carbon monoxide alarm/detector, set up an installation appointment soon!