Did You Know? Toxins

COMMON HOUSEHOLD TOXINS

As published by the S.T.O.P The Poison Foundation.

AIR FRESHNERS:

Most air freshners interfere with your ability to smell by coating your nasal passages with an oil film, or by releasing a nerve-deadening agent. Known toxic chemicals found in air freshner are: Formaldehyde: highly toxic, known carcinogen. Phenol: when phenol touches your skin it can cause it to swell, burn, peel, and break out in hives. Can cause cold sweats, convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma and even death.

AMMONIA:

It is very volatile chemical; it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory tract and skin.

BLEACH:

It is a strong corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. It will cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested. Warning: never mix bleach with ammonia it may cause fumes which can be deadly.

CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOO:

Most formulas are designed to over power the stain itself, they accomplish the task but not without using highly toxic substances. Some may include: Perchlorethylene: Known carcinogen; can cause liver, kidney and nervous system damage. Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin and respiratory passages.

DISHWASHER DETERGENTS:

Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentarted. #1 cause of child poisonings, according to poison control centers.

DRAIN CLEANERS:

Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid and trichloroethylene. Lye: Caustic burns skin and eyes, if ingested will damage the esophagus and stomach. Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant, damage kidneys, liver and digestive tract.

FURNITURE POLISH:

Petroleum distillates: Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. Phenol ( See Air Freshners, Phenol). Nitrobenzene: Easily absorbed through the skin, extremely toxic.

MOLD AND MILDEW CLEANERS:

Sodium hypochlorite: Corrosive irritates or burns skin and eyes, causes fluid in the lungs, which can lead to coma and death! Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes, nose, throat, and skin. May cause nausea, headache, nosebleeds, dizziness, memory loss and shortness of breath.

OVEN CLEANER:

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye): Caustic; Strong irritant, burns to both skin and eyes. inhibits reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.

ANTIBACTERIAL CLEANERS:

Triclosan: Absorbtion through the skin can be tied to liver damage.

LAUNDRY ROOM PRODUCTS:

Sodium or calcium hypocrite: Highly corrosive irritates or burns skin, eyes or respiratory tract. Linear alkyl ate sulphonate: Absorbed through the skin. Known liver damaging agent. Sodium Tripolyphosphate: Irritates skin and mucous membranes, causes vomiting. Easily absorbed through the skin from clothes.

TOILET BOWL CLEANERS:

Hydrocloric acid: Highly corrosive, irritant to both skin and eyes. Damages kidneys and liver. Hypochlorite bleach: Corrosive irritates or burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema, vomiting or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes, which may be fatal.

PESTICIDES:

Most pesticides have ingredients that affect the nervous system of insects. imagine what these extremely poisonous chemicals do to your body, or your baby’s body. Dimplylate: Better known as Diazinon, extremely toxic. impairs the central nervous system. Chlorinate hydrocarbons: Suspected carcinogen and mutantagen. Accumulates in food and in fatty tissue. Will attach the nervous system. organophosphates: Toxic and poisonous. If you can smell it, your lungs are absorbing it.

LICE SHAMPOO:

Especially vulnerable are children. Lindane: inhalation, ingestion, or absorbtion through the skin may cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and circulatory collapse. May cause liver damage, stillbirths, birth defects and cancer.

CAR WASH AND POLISH:

Petroleum Distillates: Associated with skin and lung cancer, irritant to skin, eyes, nose and lungs. Entry into the lungs may cause fatal pulmonary edema , most marked Danger – Harmful or Fatal.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE LABELS!

 

DANGER – Harmful or Fatal if absorbed by or through the skin, ingested, or inhaled. One taste to a teaspoon can be FATAL to an adult!

WARNING – Harmful or Fatal if absorbed by or through the skin, ingested, or inhaled. One teaspoon to an ounce can be FATAL to an adult!

CAUTION – Harmful or Fatal if absorbed by or through the skin, ingested, or inhaled. One ounce to a pint can be FATAL to an adult!

* Warning labels required by the US EPA, Office of Pesticides and Toxic Substances

RECOMMENDATIONS THAT CAN HELP…

  • Carrier Infinity Air Purifier
  • UV Lights
  • HRV – Heat Recovery Ventilator
  • Properly Sized Heating & Cooling Equipment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *