More recently, even more advanced and efficient heating and cooling systems have emerged using the geoexchange process. Sometimes called geothermal or ground-source heat pumps, these geoexchange systems move or transfer heat like the air-source heat pumps. However, they exchange heat with the earth rather than the outdoor air.Heat Pumps operate by moving or transferring heat, rather than create it. During the winter the heat pump captures heat from outdoor air, compresses it and releases this warm air inside the home or business. During the summer the process is reversed; the heat pump captures heat from inside a home or business and transfers it to the outdoor air through the condensing unit.Since earth temperature remains relatively constant throughout the year, geoexchange systems operate more efficiently than air-source heat pumps and generally without the use of resistance heat. And because they are working from those constant earth temperatures, there are no blasts of hot air or “cold blow” as with other systems.
Nearly all geoexchange systems on the market have the ability to provide low-cost domestic hot water, further increasing their operating efficiency. Thus, geoexchange systems are generally 2.5 to 4 or more times more efficient than resistance heating and water heating alone, and have no combustion or indoor air pollutants.
Since there is no outdoor unit, you do not have to worry about any property line restrictions or outdoor noise with a geoexchange system.
Although their installation cost is somewhat higher due to the required underground connections for heat transfer to and from the earth, geoexchange systems provide VERY LOW operation cost, low maintenance, greater comfort and proves to ADD value to your home.
Although their installation cost is somewhat higher for a geoexchange system due to the required underground connections for heat transfer to and from the earth, geoexchange systems provide low operating and maintenance cost with greater comfort.
Per Climate Masters, provider of Carrier geothermal heat pumps, “The environmental advantages of geoexchange systems have caught the eye of governmental agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Energy (DOE). Because geothermal technology is lowest in CO² emissions, it provides a solution to global warming by primarily using the natural energy of the earth. Puron® (R-410a) zero ozone depletion refrigerant is available for Carrier geothermal heat pumps for an even friendlier system.”
HOW Geoexchange and Geothermal Systems Benefits the Homeowner, the Builder, the Architect/Engineer:
- LOW UTILITY BILLS: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) geothermal systems are, “the most energy-efficient, environmentally clean, and cost-effective space conditioning systems available today”.
- FLEXIBILITY: You get heating, central air conditioning, and domestic hot water….three important benefits from a single unit all working together to save you BIG DOLLARS!
- COMFORT: A system that automatically adjusts to satisfy changing weather conditions by using advanced Two-Stage compressors and an air delivery systems that responds to your comfort needs.
- SAFE AND CLEAN: No flame, no flue, no odors and no danger of fumes. The environmental advantage of geothermal systems have caught the eye of governmental agencies such as the EPA and the Department of Energy (DOE). Because geothermal technology is lowest in CO² emissions, it provides a solution to global warming by primarily using the natural energy of the earth. Puron® (R-410A) zero ozone depletion refrigerant is available for an even friendlier system.
- NOISE FREE OPERATION: Unlike traditional air conditioners or heat pumps, geothermal systems have no noisy outdoor fans to disturb you or your neighbor.
- LONG SYSTEM LIFE: The elegant yet durable design ensures long life, dependable operation and low maintenance. All residential air coils are specifically treated for longevity.
- LONGEVITY OF THE LOOP: Geothermal earth loops (the pipes that are buried in the ground) are made from high density polyethylene. These pipes have a 50 Year Warranty and have a life expectancy of several hundred years. They do not rust, rot or corrode.