Carbon monoxide poisoning is surprisingly very common, so it’s very important to have a quality carbon monoxide detector that works reliably in your home. At Specialty Heating and Cooling, it’s important for us to see clients with a healthy home environment with good indoor air quality, and this is one of the reasons why we believe having a low-level carbon monoxide monitor is a must have in your home.
Carbon monoxide can enter your home in several ways. It is odorless and colorless and can leak from gas ranges, space heaters, vehicles inside your garage, or your water heater. And when the weather gets cold, people often have fires going inside to stay warm, but forget to open the door/vent to help with circulation. This mistake could cause carbon monoxide to leak. Poisoning that happens from carbon monoxide can often mimic flu symptoms. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, gastrointestinal issues, and other flu-like symptoms. However, if it enters your bloodstream for a long period of time, it could prevent oxygen from getting to your vital organs, including your brain and heart, and this can be deadly.
How can you protect yourself and your family?
A reliable carbon monoxide detector is key. We like the Defender Carbon Monoxide Alarm, which is a 10-year lithium battery powered hybrid monoxide alarm that can monitor current and peak monoxide levels as low as 10ppm. The batteries are not removable and are warranted to keep the detector powered effectively for 10 years. Chronic low exposure to carbon monoxide (under 30ppm) can also cause serious health problems, especially for children, pregnant women, elderly citizens, or others that have health issues.
If you need a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home for enhanced safety, now is the time to act. Contact our team at Specialty Heating and Cooling for information on carbon monoxide detectors. We can get everything installed and running for you in time for the holidays, so you won’t need to worry about a thing.